As you head into your holidays of family togetherness, festive soirees, and inevitable Netflix binge watching, I wanted to share a few of the movies, videos, books, and podcasts I’m loving right now in case you are in need of a spiritual + personal growth fix. I recommend any of the following to watch, read, or listen if you are looking for a booster on all things healing, awakening and transformation over the holiday break.
Wishing you all a wonderful holiday and New Year’s filled with immense love, light and delight. I’m so grateful for your support and looking forward to sharing many exciting developments in the new year. See ya in 2018!
- Directed by Kelly Noonan Gores, this is such a beautiful film that heightens the conversation of what healing really looks like in modern day, and how we can complement our western care with true integrative healing practices. It highlights some of the leading practitioners and pioneers in this space and heartfelt personal accounts. Watching this documentary made me feel so grateful that I had so many of these tools in my my transformation toolkit that I could apply not just to my cancer story, but to my everyday life. This film is going to empower so many people in their healing journeys. Available to rent on iTunes, Amazon and Vimeo now. Check it out.
- If you have been steeped in spiritual jargon like I have and looking for a refreshing perspective and paradigm shift in how we approach energy, healing and transformation, Matt Kahn’s teachings are accessible, powerful, and sprinkled with joy and delight. He is one of my favorite teachers right now. Check out his Youtube channel and see what topics resonate. If you aren’t sure where to start, choose either the most recent or my favorite of all his videos is I Am the Light.
- I first met Davidji at The Chopra Center and have since been following him as a source for all things meditation and transformation. His teachings continue to be practical and profound. He is both wise and whimsical and has helped me to deepen my meditation practice and spiritual education in profound ways. His newest book, Sacred Powers: The Five Secrets to Awakening Transformation is a deep teaching on the core spiritual beliefs that shape our lives and the tangible ways we can apply them.
- I mean, do I even have to explain? I love Brene for so many reasons – her honesty, her grit, and her ability to be completely genuine and vulnerable in life is both inspiring and empowering. Her newest book Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone is a powerful sharing of the important role that belonging and courage plays in these modern times.
- This is one of my favorite podcasts. Krista Tippet is one of the best interviewers I’ve heard. Her approach is curious, personal, and relevant. The website articulates it best: “On Being opens up the animating questions at the center of human life: What does it mean to be human, and how do we want to live? We explore these questions in their richness and complexity in 21st-century lives and endeavors. We pursue wisdom and moral imagination as much as knowledge; we esteem nuance and poetry as much as fact.” This is a consistent source of inspiration and spiritual grounding. You can listen to the episode archives here.
- Hosted by Nora McInerny, each episode is both hilarious and heart-wrenching. I first learned about Nora through her book, It’s Okay To Laugh (Crying is Cool Too), which shares her remarkable story of love and loss with her first husband. In both her book and podcast, she approaches the themes of grief, difficulty, loss and so many stories of hardship through a lens of humor, compassion, and transformation. Needless to say I laugh and cry simultaneously (my favorite cathartic combo) through each episode. Check it out here.